29 August 2008

JMT Day 7: Reds Meadow to Duck Pass

July 10, 2008


After a slow start (slept til 6:30a on trail at 10a) we made it to Duck Pass. Well almost there anyway. This morning we walked through part of the forest that had wild fires in 90's. I actually think it was the summer of '92 because we were on a family trip to CA and planned on going through Yosemite but couldn't due to fires. Anyway, back to my thoughts, it's hard to describe what it's like walking through the burnt wilderness. For me it was a very quiet walk just thinking how powerful mother nature can be. It was weird because when I was hiking through this area all I could think about was how I felt when I went to Oradour-Sur-Glane in France in 1995. (Quick french history, Oradour-Sur-Glane was a town that Nazi troops invaded in 1944, and killed 642 people. They then set every building on fire.) I know that these two fires are different...one cause by nature the other by humans...but it was still the feeling of being helpless and sad for the destruction that went on. I never knew I could be so touched by nature, maybe I really am changing throughout this trip.




We entered into the John Muir Wilderness today. We were previously in the Ansel Adams Wilderness since Donohue pass. All I can say is less mosquitoes then Ansel Adams, but more flies. I really wasn't feeling the best today either. I think it was because I ate a cheeseburger and chips last night and my body is 1, not used to "real food" and 2 I ate more in one sitting then I do in one day. Not good on the digestive track. I did use the facilities and felt much better by the time Mugs and I hit the Deer Creek. Since it was only 3:30p we decided to add another 5 miles and camp at Duck Pass. Four and a half hours later I made it. Not bad for an uphill journey. We are still a day ahead and Saturday night we'll be at VVR. YAY! I am so looking forward to that.




It's hard to believe that I've hiked 70 miles. My feet have seen better days, but I think they are getting better. My legs, back and shoulders aren't as sore anymore so I must be getting stronger...and my pack is getting lighter every day. I am also hiking at a faster pace. Today I was only about 5 minutes behind mugs. Maybe by the time we hit Mt. Whitney we'll actually be hiking together at the same pace.

Pictures:

1. aftermath of the fire

2. aftermath of the fire

3. one of the red cones. Also a volcanic formation

4. What I saw from the trail

5. More Mountains from the trail

6. The amber glow on the Mountains before bed

mileage: 11.6/ 70.3

elevation: 7715 ft to 10,170 ft +2455 ft/-0 ft

No comments: