22 August 2008

JMT: Day 1, Happy Isles to Cloud's Rest

July 4, 2008



1p

Mugs woke me at 0415 for my last shower. It will be a few days maybe weeks before I get another one. We left San Fran at 0530 for Yosemite where we will start our hike. This was a nice three and a half hour nap for me. I was out with Kate late last night. Once we got to Yosemite we had to get our permits and park Andy's (Cies) car and head out to the trail. We're off!!! My pack was heavy and my shoulders hurt, but the hike itself wasn't too bad. We walked across a wood bridge, saw Nevada Falls (amazing!) and headed upwards...this sucked! 2.7 miles and 2500 ft in elevation later my heels were killing me. I was ready for a break! We stopped for lunch at the top of Nevada Falls and I took a 15 minute much needed nap. Our next destination is the Cloud's rest junction, about 4 miles and up another 2000 ft.





7p

Well I made it though the first day. I hiked into camp at about 630p and now have supper going. UMMM rice! I'm sure I'll be sick of it by day 20. So far the hike isn't too bad...well I haven't done anything worse. I have all day to hike 10 miles. I think I can do it. The elevation is hard on me, but I'll get used to it. "Just keep swimming" is about the only thing that goes on in my head as I'm walking up hill (I so glad I watched finding Nemo before I left! :) ) I'll be sore tomorrow but well worth it. I made it through the toughest day. As for the views, WOW!!!! I can't even describe all the things I've seen so far. Pictures do no justice. I'm just hoping my pictures turn out. It is so peaceful out here, and when I'm not singing in my head I'm having some decent conversation with myself about what I want in life, who I am and what I want in the future. It's very peaceful out here. I so glad I decided to go on this trip.

Mugs and Cies filtering water

above: View of the trail

Right: Half Dome. Some day I want to come back and climb it.

Mileage: 6.5 miles / 6.5 miles

Elevation: 4035 ft to 7190 ft

+ 3155 ft

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

Holy elevation! That would have kicked my ass. You rock.