27 August 2008

JMT Day 2: Clouds Rest to Sunrise Lakes

July 5, 2008


2p: We woke up to a surprise. I guess bears were in our camp last night. They played with our bear kegs and must have liked the one with all the snacks because it was gone. We spent about 3 hours looking for it and couldn't find it, so our calorie consumption was just cut in half. Now all the good food is gone and we are left with eating rice and oatmeal until we resupply. This is probably a good thing for me, but to so good for Mugs. We'll get through it.




I'm not as sore as I thought I would be today. My upper back and shoulders hurt the most, but I'm also not used to carrying 45lbs on my back. Although my pack down about 7.5lbs since the loss of the bear keg. I'm still enjoying the hike, but it's only been 1.5 days but we are 6 miles ahead of schedule.




8p: I made it through another day. We hiked into camp about 6p, ate supper (rice) and chatted with our neighbors. Found out that they are also from MN and are just doing a 40 mile high Sierra hike. Nice guys. I didn't stay long, to tired and I wanted to get some reading and writing done before the sun set. Plus the mosquitoes are out.


As for myself, I'm still enjoying myself. Mugs and Cies are about 15-20 minutes ahead of me. I don't mind. I just hike at my own pace and take my time. I just figure if it takes me 10 -12 hours to hike then it takes me that long. This is not a race, just have to summit Mt. Whitney by the 25th and so far we are a half day ahead of schedule. Tomorrow we are getting up early and are shooting to be on the trail before 10am. I wouldn't mind starting earlier just so we can get in a few extra miles each day. I may change my mind about this later on, but for now I'm feeling good, not too sore and just have to deal with the blister I developed on my right heel.


There were some awesome views today. I didn't take any pictures during the last two miles although I should have. I'll take more tomorrow as we hike out of camp.

Pictures:

1. Half Dome

2. View of how clear the water is. Still have to filter it.

3. The three Brothers

4. Me and Sam taking a break

Mileage: today 6.6 overall 13.1

Elevation: 7190 ft to 9320 ft +2130 ft

No comments: