29 August 2008

JMT Day 11: VVR junction to Marie Lake

July 14, 2008
A long day of uphill and when we finally get to the downhill it starts to rain. So for three hours we got to wear the rain gear. First time I've worn it in the rain (the very first time I wore it was at VVR when we were doing laundry, that way we could wash all of our clothes and still have something on. PE majors are smart sometimes!) The rain was nice, but it brought the mosquitoes. I think I swallowed about 100 of them. Can you get west nile from swallowing them or do they have to bite you? Something I may have to look up when I get back to civilization. Another fun part of the day, other then the fun with mosquitoes, was that as the rain was starting to lighten up, we got to wade across a creek. I enjoy wading across the creeks since it gives me a chance to get out of my boots and the water feels good on my feet. However today as I was just about across the creek, only a couple of feet from shore, I tripped over a rock and fell in. Now I got to enjoy the rest of the hike cold and in wet clothing. The best part of my fall was not only did I manage to soak myself, my boots that were around my neck also filled up with water. I had to dump the water out of them when I made it to shore before I put them back on. I did make it to the campsite at 6:30p and the rain had quit by that time. Overall still a pretty good day. Got in 3 extra miles.

Pictures:

1. a deer that followed me hiking up bear ridge. He was about 6 feet in front of me at one point.

2. Flowers on the trail

3. More flowers

4. View of the mountains form our campsite at Marie lake

5. A little lizard on the rock

Mileage: 12.9/104.5

elevation: 7,900 to 10,504 +2990/-0, but we did drop 1000ft after bear ridge only to hike 1000ft back up towards Marie Lake

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

I love the pics of the flowers!