29 August 2008

JMT Day 12: Marie Lake to Piute Creek

July 15, 2008


HALF WAY TO WHITNEY!


It was raining this morning so we slept in until 7a. We still made it over Seldon Pass, but we're an hour and a half behind schedule. We did have a nice surprise this morning, we got passed by Bob and Andy. We hiked with them most of the day since they are also going to the Muir ranch to resupply. It also rained on us again this afternoon. Only an hour this time and we were dry by the time we got to Muir ranch.


Our packs are heavy again. They don't seem as heavy as day 1, so I must have gotten a little stronger. I'm just happy we have a full food supply and more calories. My energy level should go up now because I'll be consuming more calories and I get to eat good snacks! You don't know how much I've been craving fruit! Even though its dried, it's still good. It's weird because I'm craving steak, sushi and lettuce. I can understand the sushi and lettuce, I crave those things when I'm in civilization. The steak worries me because I don't really care for steak and maybe eat it twice a year. But like I said before this trip has changed me and maybe this is just another way that it has. I'm becoming a red meat eater!


Tonight we camped along side of the river, about a mile from Piute Creek. We are camping with Bob and Andy. We've been hiking with them all day and decided why not. They found a really nice place to camp off the trail. Mugs and I usually camp not too far from the trail. It has always been within sight. We made a camp fire and played spades until 10:30p. Another late night, but we are in good company so it's worth it.
Pictures:
1. Marie Lake from our campsite
2. Mugs on the trail in front of me as we left camp that morning
3. Sunset over the Mts at our campsite with Bob and Andy (camara couldn't capture how beautiful it really was)
4. Amber glow on Mts
mileage: 7.5/112
elevation: 10,540 to 8050 +350 ft/ -3000 ft

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

So glad you guys could resupply!