29 August 2008

JMT Day 10: Vermilion Valley Resort

July 13, 2008

Yesterday was wonderful!!! It was fun to hang out with the guys we've been leap frogging with along the trail. Ok, really they pass me every day. I have even met some more people from Minnesota. I'm beginning to think that this is the year for Minnesotans on the trail. Oddly I haven't met anyone from California yet.


Last night, Mugs and shared a combo platter of protein. BBQ chicken, ribs, tri-tip, and a hot link. Not to mention the macaroni salad, baked beans and a slice of homemade peach pie. It tasted so good. I am so glad we split a plate because I would have never been able to eat that much.


We got to VVR around 2 yesterday and mostly just sat at the restaurant/bar until 10:30 last night. The resort is not what you would think a resort is. The "cabin" we are staying in has 4 sets of bunk beds and it's just a big tent with a wood floor. Reminds me a lot of girl scout camp. We shared a cabin with Alex and Justin and then two other girls, Jess and Kaylyn who we met yesterday. It was nice not having to pitch the tent and sleeping on a mattress, a very old mattress.


More hikers showed up throughout the day, including Bob and Andy, who we have met many times on the trip and ate lunch with on our way to Duck Pass. Bob and Andy thought we missed the boat since they didn't see us at all on the trail. Little did they know that as they were sitting in the rain waiting for the boat, we were drinking our free beer at the resort nice and dry.


Yesterday (Saturday night) after we were done eating we stayed at the restaurant/bar and talked with all of the hikers. This is just what I needed to recharge my batteries. In all my life I don't think I have ever sat with a group of guys and drank beer and talked. I've done this with women, but then again I know more women than men. Fun new experience for me. I had to step outside my comfort zone and experience something new. That's what this trip is about, doing something new.


Today, Mugs and I decided that we were not going to spend an extra night here. We decided that we will catch the boat around 2p and just hike the 2 miles out to the junction of Bear Ridge. This way we can get an early start and hopefully end closer to Muir Ranch were our resupply is.

My feet are getting better. I think taking the past 24 hours off has helped them. I won't know for sure until I start hiking again later this afternoon. Everyone we met last night took off this morning. Mugs and I are hoping we'll catch up to them eventually. I guess we'll just have to see. We have more uphill days ahead of us, but we can sneak in a few extra miles on the downhill days. But then again, it all depends on how we are feeling.

My attitude is still positive, although I have had my moments where I've wanted it all to be over. That's mostly because of the blisters I've had. The trail it's self isn't all that difficult. I probably won't do this trail again. I would like to come back and do some parts again, but not for 20 days. It gets a little long. I have fallen in love with hiking/backpacking and want to do more. I just don't want to enjoy nature for 20 days in one shot.

Well got to get my feet taped up so we can head out of here. Almost half way done. I'm hoping for less mosquitoes, but tougher elevation lies ahead...
8p: We finally left VVR at 4p. There were thunderstorms and rain so they weren't running any boats. Mugs and I only hiked the 2 miles to the junction. We'll be up early tomorrow and hike up Bear Ridge then hopefully get about half way to Muir Ranch. We are going to try and hike a few extra miles tomorrow since most of our uphill will be in the morning and the rest of the day will be down hill. Possibly an eleven hour hike tomorrow. It make me laugh when I start thinking about counting my days in the hours I hike rather then the mileage. Jess and Kaylyn said they treat every day like a job...thy only walk for 8 hours a day. I guess that wouldn't be too bad, but I don't think I would want to be out here for 30 days. As long as I can average 10 miles a day I doing fine.
As for me I feel refreshed. It was hard leaving VVR, but I'm also glad to be back on the trail. Mugs and I made a campfire tonight and we got a new book...a smut book. Ten chapters, ten days, coincidence? I think not. Ahhh how sisters bond on a 20 day backpacking trip...they read smut books...
Pictures:
1. Me in the "limo" heading back to the trail
2. Our campsite at the junction, our tent is the yellow dome in the back
Mileage: 2 miles/ 91.6 miles
elevation: not much

No comments: