02 September 2008

JMT Day 20: Charlotte Lake to Onion Valley

July 23, 2008--My last day

1:30p: I left Charlotte lake at 7:30 this morning and made it to Onion Valley around 1:15p. Now I'm just waiting for a ride to Independence and then hopefully into Lone Pine. I have to hitch a ride, but so far no one has entered or left the campgrounds. So I'll just sit here. I did meet some guys last night that were going to be hiking out today and offered me a ride into Independence. So If I don't get a ride before I see them, then I'll just see if then can still give me a lift. If all else fails, I can camp here. On the bright side, I don't have to wear my boots anymore!!! YAY!!!

6:30p: I made it into Lone Pine. I am very thankful for being able to hitch rides without an problems. Dave gave me a ride form OV to Independence and as I was sitting at the bus stop, Ranger George and his wife stopped and gave me a ride into Lone Pine. George was the ranger that told me I have two choices; Hike out to OV or continue on the trail and I would be leaving by Medi-vac. I'm glad I choose to walk out.

I am very grateful for the people I have met and the kindness they have shown to pick up and give a complete stranger a ride. People have talked about "trail magic" but I never had any...unless you count the two rolls of tape mugs and I found. But I believe that meeting these people is also part of the trail magic.

I am so glad I was able to do this trip. I am happy to be off my feet and to take a shower (the very first thing I did when I got to the motel.) I still wish I was hiking but I went as far as I could. I didn't give up mentally and I had to quit due to medical reasons. I'll be back someday, hopefully next summer, to finish the last 40 miles and to summit Mt. Whitney.

I didn't take any pictures from here on out. Mugs took my camera with here so I really don't know what they are of. I'll do my best at labeling them.

Picture:

4. My favorite type of trail. I was just happy that I didn't wreck a knee or an ankle. We usually encountered these trails on the passes, or on steep portions of the trial.

6. View from Forester Pass

Mileage 9.9/191.5

No comments: