16 September 2008

Adventures in the homeland

I've been home, i.e. living with my parents, for almost two months now and I still haven't started working yet. I have gone to interviews and orientations, got med certified, have had two background checks (I passed!!) and peed in a cup. Now you would think I should be earning a paycheck. Nope not here in MN, or should I say Willmar. I guess after you get hired
employers can make you wait until they need you to work and then they will call you and try to set up times so you can get trained and all of that fun stuff. In the meantime, I have been helping out my parents, providing cheap babysitting services for my sister and helping a friend of mine do some maintenance to his deck.

Here's what I've learned these past two months:
1. How to make and can tomato juice (45 qts so far)
2. How to replace rotten boards on a deck (not very hard, but there were some issues)
3. How to get drill bits and screw drivers out from under a deck
4. How to apply wood prep to a deck
5. How to walk on a deck after wood prep as been applied (again some issues)
6. How to pluck a goose
7. How to clean a goose
8. How to pack a van so less trips could be made from storage

I'm still hoping that I'll be working soon, but part of me thinks I should just start applying and follow up on some jobs in the cities. I have a feeling that once I start working in Willmar I will be turning in my two week notice.

On the bright side, I have a house in Robbinsdale and all my stuff was moved from storage to the house this past weekend. I also realized that that I have moved in every season and in rain, in snow, and in temps over 100. I just have to move with temps below 0 and all will be balanced in my life.

So even though I haven't been earning a paycheck I have been learning skills that will help me in the future.

No comments: