02 September 2008

JMT Day 19: Rae Lakes to Charlotte Lake

July 22, 2008

5:30p: I got up on time today. Mugs didn't have to wait for me. I was actually packed up before she was. I didn't sleep very well last night. I was really hot and tossed and turned all night. I know I had a fever and it broke, which leads to the next conclusion...I have an infection. As I started to doctor them up I noticed that my sores are draining green pus and I have about a 2 inch long blister on the bottom of my left foot which is also infected (I had to drain that one also, not a pretty site.) Mugs headed up to the Ranger station to see if anyone was there. No one was but on her way back to camp she ran into Bob and Andy. They came to check out the situation and gave me some neosporen (ours was stolen by the bear.)

Knowing that I now have infections has but a damper on my spirits. I have to hike out tomorrow before they get any worse. I don't want to. I am so close to the end and I really want to finish the trip but I know I can't. Mugs told me to stop acting like a nurse and hike out. It's either damaging my pride or losing my feet. I can always come back and finish. This is seriously one of the toughest decisions I've had to make. I can't even describe how much I want to finish, not just for my self, but for the people who told me I won't make it. It's a hard decision. I think I spent at least two hours crying about it this morning and then off and on along the trail knowing that this would be my last day out here.

Mugs and I decided this morning that we were only going to go to Charlotte lake and I would hike out to Onion Valley from there. We made it to Charlotte lake about 4:30 and talked to Ranger George. I was also able to get a big basin to soak my feet in. I'm just glad that I made it this far. Even after today my feet are looking worse then they did this morning and I only had to hike 6 miles. I think it's a good thing I'm hiking out tomorrow.

Pictures:

1. Me taping up my feet. My feet are really swollen and didn't fit in my boots. Fun Times!

2. & 3. Middle Rae lake with the painted Lady in the background. Pix 2. you can see the frost on the ground. 32 degrees when we woke up

4. Fin Dome

5. Me standing next to South Rae Lake

6. South Rae Lake

7. Mugs on Glenn Pass (11,978 ft)

8. View of the lakes (north). We just came from there

9. View to the south of Glenn Pass. Whats to come

10. Me soaking my feet at Charlotte Lake

mileage: 6.5/ 182

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

So sorry you couldn't make it. :( The infections sound awful.