20 June 2009

Teaching an old dog new tricks

After 8 years I finally gave in and enrolled my dog into a basic training class. She is the oldest dog by 7 years. With three weeks of class under our belt, Ellie May can do a sit/stay, down/stay, heal and about turn. Although these all happen in her time and when she wants to do them. I think she just likes to go to because it gives her one-on-one time with me, and she gets to go for a car ride once a week. As for me I'm learning a lot. I always new Ellie May ruled me and I let her get away with things because she's cute and I love her. Now I have the instructor telling me I have to be firmer and make her listen to me.

Ellie May has always been a pretty good dog. She goes potty when I tell her too, she isn't a destructive chewer (unless she's mad at me and I have something with a zipper or buttons laying on the floor), she sleeps most of the day, she very gentle with the old folks when I take her to work and well...she just plain cute.

I guess the only thing I'm hoping for with going to class is that she'll learn to love Russ and play with him (she doesn't really care for other dogs, she likes cats) and that we'll graduate in August.

No comments: