04 November 2008

My voting expirence

I never thought voting could be so difficult. I went to my polling place this morning, stood in line for a really long time (45 minutes) only to be told that I was not able to vote. The reason why, I have not been a Minnesota resident for more than twenty days before the election. The lady was really nice though so I really can't say anything bad. She let me use my bank statement as proof that I live in Robbinsdale. But according to my yellow slip of paper that is currently my MN drivers license, I have only been a resident for 16 days. Rejected...

I was feeling a little bummed because I also missed the deadline for the absentee in South Dakota. But I got over it, and thought you know it really doesn't matter if I vote because I know nothing about the candidates (except for the presidential ones) in MN, and they are the ones that I really should vote for. I haven't lived in this state for about ten years; I know very little about politics and don't understand half the stuff I do know about. The only things I know about the people running for Senate and Congress is from all of the negative ads on TV that I usually mute. I know its bad of me, but seriously should I really be voting for people that I know nothing about?

I did go back to the polling place tonight with Tonya to try again, and I got registered. The guy that made me fill out the paper work just looked at my address on my yellow paper and confirmed my name with my SD license. Good thing I was wearing a red shirt...wait that only works in SD. Anyway I did my part and voted...for all the independents cuz they need votes too.

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

Glad you got to vote!